Updates are in process. For questions, reference the online code. Got it!

MapLink™ | Frequently Asked Questions

Hello! Content on this website is provided as a convenience and is for informational use only. Be sure to review the Terms of Use for all of the details related to your use of this website.
Do I need a permit for that?

The examples below include only some of the projects requiring permits. Not all projects have been included. Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by this code, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to obtain the required permit

Permits are required for: 

•    Additions (bedrooms, bathrooms, family rooms, etc.)
•    Commercial finish-out or remodel/Certificate of Occupancy (CO-required for all Businesses)
•    Electrical systems and repairs: New electrical panels or circuits
•    New or replacing a gas/electric water heater
•    Excavation
•    Fences/Decks
•    Installing a sprinkler system
•    New building/Residence
•    Plumbing systems and repairs: A gas line is added, replaced or repaired, Shower pans, Repairs of water or sewer line
•    Pools
•    Retaining walls
•    Signs
•    Residential work (new windows and doors, patio covers, garages, fireplaces, water heaters, etc.)
•    HVAC (heating, ventilating and air-conditioning) systems
•    All accessory buildings (Must follow setback requirements stated in the Zoning Ordinance)
•    Replacing or adding a new drive approach (if replacing the driveway up to the approach, no permit is required)
•    Concrete patios do not require a permit if they are not attached to the house foundation. However, if you plan to cover or enclose this area later, a permit for the concrete is a good idea so we will have a record of the structural strength of the patio.
•    Rental Certificate of Occupancy (Rental CO-Required for all rental homes)
•    Alarm Permit (Residential & Commercial)

If I’m a homeowner can I do the work myself?

If you are homesteaded you are not required to fill out a contract registration and can do the work yourself.

I plan on doing some work on my house. When do I need a permit?

  1. If you are planning on doing the following a permit will be required: plumbing work, electrical work, adding onto the main structure, removing or relocating walls, adding a new structure on the property (if the value is over $500), and any new or replacement fences.
  2. The following work does not require any permits: moving fixtures, removing or constructing new cabinets, new flooring, any flatwork (excluding the drive approach), replacing siding, and roof repairs or replacements.

Where can I turn in my permit application?

All applicants are encouraged to utilize our MyGov system online for permits. However, you can turn your permit application at Town Hall if needed. For help using MyGov, review the How To Guide

I’ve submitted a building permit, how long until I hear back from the City?

All permits take 5 – 10 business days to review. If you are missing information or are required to adjust your plans according to Code then you will be notified through our MyGov system.

Can I start working before the Building Permit is issued?

No work may commence until the building permit has been issued. If work has started before the issuance of the building permit the Applicant will be subjected to additional fees.